Asahi Seiko USA, Inc. can be contacted directly to perform repairs on all varieties of coin hoppers and card dispensers.

Please contact Customer Support (Ext. 108) or your Sales Representative to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. They will explain the process and current labor rates.

Note: If you are already an Asahi Seiko customer, please include the type of equipment (i.e. card dispenser), the model number (CD-200, CD-1000 etc.), voltage (12V, 24V, 115V), serial number, and problem description on your RMA request and someone will contact you.